Summer Vegetable Quiche
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp. chilled bacon grease (can use butter instead)
- 1 tbsp. cold water
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup 1-inch chopped green beans
- 1 small red potato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme (pulled from stem)
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated parmesan
In a food processor, or with a pastry blender, combine the flour, salt, butter, and bacon grease (if using) together until a coarse meal forms. Add in the water and pulse to combine. If the mixture is still too dry, add in a bit more water as needed.
Press the crust mixture into a tart pan or pie dish, coming up around the sides. Bake the crust for 10-12 minutes, just until set, but not quite browned yet.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and saute the zucchini and green beans together until slightly softened. Seta side in a bowl. Add in the other tbsp. of oil and cook the potatoes and onion together until softened. Add to the bowl with the zucchini. Add in the fresh thyme leaves and mix well.
Add the vegetables to the prepared crust and smooth out into an even layer. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Whisk together the eggs, almond milk, salt, and pepper, and pour over the vegetables. Bake in the oven until the eggs are set, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature. Also makes for excellent leftovers!