photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Roasted Butternut Squash & Tomato Soup


I have been sick more this year than I ever have before. I have always prided myself on the "one" who didn't get sick. I guess this is my karma for saying that? Okay, pity park over, now time for soup. I have been pumpkin the fluids like crazy and even trying to drink fresh-pressed juice as possible to get as many nutrients in hopes of speeding up the healing process. But enough was enough last night, and when I really just wanted my mom to come take care of me (which I know she would have, hi mom!), I mustered up the strength to make a quick homemade soup, and photograph it somehow. Warm, cozy, and healthy to boot, thanks to the fresh ginger root and anti-oxidant packed vegetables, I should be back to my old self in no time! Feeling the same way this cold season? Try making this at home, and let me know what you think. As always be sure to tag #HDFB on social media so I can see your posts!


 Roasted Butternut Squash & Tomato Soup

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups diced butternut squash
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
  • 28-oz. can San Marzano tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups homemade broth
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • chopped parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 

Place a piece of tin foil onto a baking sheet and spread out the butternut squash and garlic onto the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tbsp. of the olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes.


Remove from the oven and set aside.

In a large soup pot, heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onions and saute until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the ginger, and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook for 30 seconds before adding in the roasted squash, garlic, and tomatoes. Then stir in the broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.

Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. If you don't have one, allow it to cool for a bite before blending the mixture in batches in your blender. Season with salt and pepper, then garnish with chopped parsley before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014