Tequila Lime Turkey Chili
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (remove the seeds and ribs for less heat)
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 6 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes (such as Rotel with green chiles)
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp. tequila
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, minced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- garnish: freshly chopped cilantro, shredded pepper jack or cheddar cheese, lime wedges, tortilla chips, sour cream, diced avocado
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno and cook until softened; 5-7 minutes. Add in the tomato paste, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook for another 2 minutes until well combined and aromatic.
Add in the ground turkey, and as it cooks, break it up with a large wooden spoon, until browned and no more pink exists. Add in the tomato sauce and mix well.
Pour turkey mixture into a crock pot and stir in the diced tomatoes, pinto beans, chipotle, and tequila. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
When ready to serve, add in the lime juice and mix well. Place a large ladleful of the chili into a bowl and top with your garnishes of choice!