photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Friday, January 17, 2014

Bacon Topped Turkey Meatloaf with BBQ Sauce


Last week I made a massive batch of homemade BBQ sauce. 1) Because I can 2) Because it's delicious and 3) Because I have used it on everything from chicken tenders to my BBQ enchilada casserole, and now this turkey meatloaf. Growing up I loathed meatloaf. Like threw a fit and would demand something else. And when my mom would say no, I would take a tiny slice, scrape off all of the ketchup topping, and load the rest of my plate up with a massive heaping pile of mashes potatoes. Now that I no longer have the metabolism of a 7-year-old and need to stop having aversions to food like one, I decided to make my own version that I would maybe, probably, actually like. And you know what. I did. It was delicious. If I could give you a pointer tip though, make sure you really rid of any and all excess moisture from the zucchini because it will make the lasagna too moist if you don't. You're welcome.

Bacon Topped Turkey Meatloaf with BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup grated zucchini, all moisture squeezed dry with paper towels
  • 2 tbsp. onion, minced
  • 2 tbsp. diced red bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/4 homemade BBQ sauce
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp. smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/3 lb. 93% lean ground turkey
  • 3 slices center cut bacon
  • 3 tbsp. BBQ sauce for topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, mix the zucchini, onion, red pepper, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup BBQ sauce, egg, paprika, and salt. Add the ground turkey and combine until mixed through.

Pour turkey mixture into the loaf pan. Place the 3 bacon strips along the top and then top with the remaining 3 tbsp. of the BBQ sauce.

Bake for 5 minutes to an hour until the turkey and bacon are cooked through. Let sit for 5 minuted before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014