photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Easy as 1,2,3. Chicken Tortilla Soup.

Looking through my fridge today, I found 2 grilled chicken breasts, some unused chipolte peppers in adobo sauce, zucchini, roasted red peppers, and some chicken broth. Rather than wait for the trash man to come swing by and clear out my refrigerator this Friday, I decided to make use of all of these delicious ingredients.

Chicken Tortilla Soup:

Inrgedients:
2 chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small/medium zucchini, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
28 oz. can stewed tomatoes
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped
1 bag of frozen corn
1 can black beans

I began by heating up the oil in a soup pot on medium. Adding in the zucchini, onion, garlic, and the chipolte peppers, I sautéed them until soft about 4 minutes, then added the chicken along with cumin, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes, stirring to mix.

Add the stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce, bringing to a bubble, then reducing the heat to medium low. Finally I added the roasted peppers, corn, and beans. Thawing the corn, and introducing all of the flavors to the pot. It ready to serve immediately.

I personally enjoy a good dollop of sour cream and some fresh avocado slices on top of my soup. However, others in my household went with shredded cheese, red onion, and cilantro mixtures.

The perfect recipe for a Tuesday night in when you only have 20 minutes from prep time to consummation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014