photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Friday, April 8, 2016

Baked Oatmeal & Berry Souffle


It's Friday. And where have I been for the last week you ask? Packing my life away and trying to fit 2 weeks worth of clothes into a carry-on suitcase. Can we just talk about how much easier men have it? My husbands packing list for our honeymoon is 5 shirts, 2 pairs of jeans, and a sweater/jacket. Basically times that by 18 to get my packing list (hint: it's 3 pages). I wouldn't consider myself high-maintenance, but it's really hard to pack for a trip that your husband planned (I planned the wedding, he planned the honeymoon), and somehow have all of your bases covered. Italian women are known for their classic fashion sense, so I'm not about to pack my nikes and yoga pants (though I'm really considering it at this point). 



You know what's not high maintenance though? This baked souffle. It's basically a giant (healthier version) of a blueberry muffin. It's light, fluffy, warm, and filled with fresh berries. I had planned to make my version of this recipe last weekend, but my husband surprised me by getting up early and recipe testing it for me. I can say that it did not disappoint! 



So do me a favor while I'm in Italy for the next two weeks. 1) follow my travels over on instagram to see what I'm devouring (hint: all of the things), and 2) make this baked souffle for good measure!



Baked Oatmeal & Berry Souffle

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup oats (I prefer old-fashioned)
  • 3 cups almond milk
  • 2 tbsp. brown sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  • 2 cups mixed sliced strawberries and blueberries
  • 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
  • confectioner's sugar, for dusting
  • 100% maple syrup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2 qt. cast-iron skillet with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large saucepan combine the oats, milk, sugar, salt and simmer, covered, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.

Quickly add in the egg yolks into the thickened oatmeal until well combined. Then fold in 1/2 of the berries, and the lemon zest. 

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form, then fold it into the oatmeal mixture. Scrape the mixture into the prepared cast iron and make in the oven for 30 minutes, until puffy and golden brown. Should only jiggle slightly when shaken. 

Serve with the remaining berries and maple syrup. Dust with confectioner's sugar and serve warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014