photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Monday, October 26, 2015

Homemade Dill Pickles


Did you know that those pre-jarred pickles that you buy at the grocery store include ingredients like high fructose corn syrup, polysorbate 80, and yellow 5 for color. Like, what even are those? And why are they in my food? Now, I am not saying that I am perfect by any means. I still eat the hell out of a Dairy Queen Blizzard when the craving strikes.  But if there are steps that I can take to reduce the amount of processed foods in my diet, I am going to take them! I have been seeing a plethora of organic pickling cucumbers at the farmer's market lately, and I couldn't help myself but to pick up a few and make my own simple dill pickle spears. There's only 6 ingredients, all of which you are very familiar with, and can pronounce to boot! Try these at home and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag any of your photos on social media with hashtag #HDFB. 



Homemade Dill Pickles

Ingredients:
  • 5 pickling cucumbers, halved lengthwise
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2-3 fresh dill 
In a medium sauce pan, heat the water, vinegar and sugar together until the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely in the fridge.

Once the vinegar mixture has cooled, add the sliced cucumbers into a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Add in the garlic and dill. Pour in the cooled vinegar mixture. Screw the lid on nice and tight. Place into the fridge to set for 3 days before enjoying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014