photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies


It's here! February is here! While I've never been a huge fan of Valentine's Day, I sure can't seem to get enough of those damn conversation heart candies. I have them at home. I have a bag in my desk at work. I wouldn't be surprised if I find some in my gym bag at some point. It's probably a good thing that they are not sold year round or I would have a horrible health problem. But not only is it the month where over-priced chocolates and red roses are shoved in your face at every turn, it's also my birthday month! This year I have one of my best friends and future bridesmaid coming in town with her sister-in-law as well as Andrew's sister (my future sister-in-law!!!! Yay!) for a weekend of wedding dress shopping, brunches on patios, and mimosas. I might even whip up another batch of these delightful cookies for their arrivals. If you are looking for something to bake for your sweetie this year, I've got just the treat for you. These are slightly crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, plus they are covered in sugar. Double yum!




Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract 
  • 1 vanilla bean, beans scraped out with a flat edge knife
  • 1/4 cup pink sanding sugar

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cream of tarter, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla bean, extract, and egg. Mix well until combined, scraping down the sides with a spatula as needed.


Slowly add in the flour mixture on low speed until well combined. Using a 1-inch cookie scoop or small spoon, scoop out the cookie dough and roll into balls using your hands. dip the top halves of each of the balls into the pink sanding sugar, place on a large plate, and place into the fridge to chill for 2 hours, or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place chilled cookie dough balls onto a baking sheet lined with silpat or parchment paper. Bake for 11-12 minutes, until the edges are just starting to turn golden brown. Remove form the oven and allow to cool on the counter for a few minutes before placing in an airtight container. If any of them even make it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014