Sweet Potato Chipotle Cheddar Soup
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon)
- 2 large sweet potatoes (not yams), peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 6 cups homemade chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, minced
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 green onions, sliced
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, celery, and salt, cooking until the onion is softened and starting to turn brown; stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cinnamon stock, mixing well to combine the spices, then add in the sweet potato and broth. Bring up to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and falling apart.
Add in the chili and the vinegar before removing from the heat. Remove the cinnamon and stick and use an immersion blender (or work in batches in a standard blender) and blend until smooth. Stir in the shredded cheddar just before serving, allowing it to melt, and garnish with chopped green onions.
Recipe slightly adapted from here.