photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Friday, May 2, 2014

Kickin' Chicken Salad


I gotta say that I got pretty spoiled by this 4-day work week. I took Monday off of work to spend the day with one of my best friend's visiting from Iowa, scouring the mall, sipping cocktails on the patio, and immersing ourselves in full-fledged girl talk. The rest of the week has just seemed to fly by, and last night my boyfriend returned from his work trip, so all is right in the world again (I feel a little less crazy when he's around; i.e. I talk to myself, I make enough dinner for two, when there's only one of us, and I spill wine because I'm clumsy, etc.). My last recipe to kick off Cinco de Mayo weekend is this Kickin' Chicken Salad. I got the inspiration from a similar salad at Whole Foods, but decided instead of forking out an arm and a leg for a scoop of their version, I would make my own at home with what I had on hand. Feel free to make yours unique by adding black beans, chopped bell peppers, or whatever strikes you. I loved serving mine on fresh butter lettuce cups, but you could also wrap some up in a tortilla, or just eat it by the spoonful. I won't judge!

Kickin' Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1 green onion, sliced
  • 2 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 small jalapeño, seeds removed and minced
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
  • 1/3 cup corn kernels
  • salt and pepper to taste

Add chicken breasts to a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook until cooked through, about 15 minutes. 

Meanwhile, add the onion, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, yogurt, and chipotle pepper in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.

Once the chicken is cooked, chop into bite-sized pieces and add to the yogurt mix. Also add in the corn kernels. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Place in the fridge to marinate the flavor and allow the chicken to cool.

Serve cold in lettuce cups, on salad, or in a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014