photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Lightened Up General Tso's Chicken


Apparently this week is DIY Take-Out week so far on HDFB. Yesterday was pizza, now today is a healthy take on a classic Chinese dinner, General Tso's Chicken. It's no secret that I love to indulge on food, but sometimes I need to remember that I don't have the metabolism of a 3rd grader who runs around for hours a day and burns more calories that I take in. No, those days are over, and now I sit at a desk for 8 hours, my workout throughout the day is getting up to go to the restroom because I drink about 150 oz. of water, and then try to muster up the energy to go to the gym and make dinner every night. But hey! I love it and wouldn't do it any other way. Like I said, I like to indulge on my favorites, and this was I can enjoy some comforting Chinese take out without having to leave my house, or risk being seen in my sweatpants and wet hair at the pick-up counter!

Lightened Up General Tso's Chicken

Ingredients:

Marinade & Sauce
  • 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 3 tbsp. tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
  • 3 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp. corn starch
  • 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Chicken
  • 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, diced into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 eggs whites
  • 3 tbsp. corn starch
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. coconut oil
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
  • 1 cup white rice, cooked according to package directions
In a medium bowl whisk together all of the marinade ingredients. Set aside.

In a large zip lock bag, add in the chopped chicken and 1/2 cup of the marinade/sauce. Seal tight and place into the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites in a medium bowl until light and fluffy, then add corn starch. Remove chicken from the fridge and drain the excess marinade. Add the chicken to the egg white/starch mixture and toss well to coat.

Heat 1 tbsp. coconut oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Cook the chicken for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until completely cooked through.

 Remove chicken and set aside. In the same skillet, heat up the remaining coconut oil over medium heat and add in the green onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook for about 2 minutes, then add in the rest of the sauce mixture from earlier. Cook and stir constantly until thickened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014