photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Sausage and Kale Quinoa Bowls


I can't believe I am actually saying this. But my boyfriend has convinced me to workout in the weight room at the gym. I am NOT the girl that goes in the weight room. I stay in my comfort zone of running in my neighborhood, running on the treadmill, or running errands. I recently went a little too hard on my knees and had to scale it back., so I headed for the weights. Slowly but surely I am getting more comfortable in there, but don't think for one second I will be the person grunting in there. Yeah dudes, we hear you, and we are not impressed. This was the perfect post-workout dinner for us last week, and not only filled us up, but I didn't feel guilty after eating it. 

Sausage and Kale Quinoa Bowls

Ingredients
  • 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 turkey sausages
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 3/4 cup quinoa
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, divided
  • large bunch of kale leaves, stems removed and leaves torn into pieces
In a medium pot heat over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Once the oil is hot add in the onion and sausage, breaking the sausage up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Once the sausage is no longer pink and the onions are softened, add in the dry quinoa. Stir to mix, then add 3/4 cup of the broth to the pot.

Cover and simmer until the liquid is completely absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove cover and add in the remaining broth. Cover and cook another 10 minutes it until the liquid is completely absorbed again.

Remove from heat and add in the torn kale leaves. The heat will begin to wilt the leaves. Mix well and serve immediately while hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014