photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Friday, January 10, 2014

Chipotle Gouda Mac and Cheese


Can I just admit something? The holiday season may be over, but I miss it. I miss splurging on bowls of pasta, cookies, and cocktails. Yeah, my jeans might be fitting a little better since not taking in thousand of excess calories, but a girl can dream about indulgence, right? Recently while trying to figure out a semi-last-minute dinner plan, we set our sights on some comforting mac and cheese, and that is exactly what we got. But with a simple twist. When searching for my usual sharp white cheddar at the store, we stumbled upon a block of chipotle Gouda, and it sounded so fun that we decided to go for it! The smokiness and creaminess from the gouda added the perfect touch to this dish. By the way, if you had asked me a year or two ago if I would be making homemade mac and cheese, or cheese anything for dinner I would have laughed in your face. I grew up with a cheese-phobia. Pizza, Lasagna. Mexican food. All of it sans cheese. So when I ran across this buzzfeed article yesterday, I laughed out loud about how spot on it was for people like me. But lately my life has been filled with cheese of all colors and flavors, and I couldn't be happier. 


Chipotle Gouda Mac and Cheese

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb rotini pasta, cooked according to packaged directions and drained
  • 4 tbsp unsealed butter 
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 2 1/2 Cups whole milk
  • 8 oz chipotle Gouda, shredded
  • 4 oz sharp white cheddar, shredded

In a large pot melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour, making sure there are no lumps. Continue to whisk for another two minutes. Then slowly pour in the milk while whisking constantly, again making sure there are no lumps. 

Let the mixture confirming to cook, whisking every minute until the mixture reduces and thickens up. 

Remove pot from the heat and add in the cheese a handful at a time, mixing well and letting the cheese melt completely before adding the next handful. 

Once all of the cheese has been incorporated, add the cooked noodles to the cheese sauce. Mix well until all noodles are coated in the cheese sauce. Serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014