photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Ginger Pear Cranberry Sauce


Cranberry sauce is one of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes. Not only because it is delicious, but because it can be used for so many things post-Thanksgiving. I love using the leftovers in muffins, on top of toast, and even mixed with my morning yogurt for breakfast. I've used the same recipe for 3 years now, but this year my boyfriend and I are hosting a mini-Thanksgiving-before-the-real-Thanksgiving dinner for the two of us. This way I could try out new recipes, while still serving the traditional one with my family. I love the hint of fresh ginger in this sauce, and I really love the texture of the cranberry sauce. The perfect mix of creamy, tart, and sweet.

Ginger Pear Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups fresh cranberries (12 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 medium pears, peeled, cored, and diced
  • 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
  • 2 tsp. lemon zest
  • 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 1 4-inch cinnamon stick
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup water
Add all ingredients to a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to medium-low heat, simmering for 15 minutes. The berries will begin to burst and sauce will thicken.


Taste and add additional sugar, a teaspoon at a time, until you've reached your desired balance of tart and sweet.

Cool completely and serve. Keeps tight in an airtight refrigerated container for up to a week. Freeze for up to 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014