- 1 cup broccoli, chopped into pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini squash, quartered and thinly sliced
- 10 baby carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups whole wheat rotini pasta (elbow macaroni would work just fine)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 cups reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Layer a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Spread out the vegetables on the foil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 20 minutes until roasted and softened.
Meanwhile, boil noodles according to box directions. Drain and set aside.
In a large skillet, preheat oil over medium heat, and add garlic, cooking for 30 seconds. Whisk in flour and let cook for 1 minute, continually whisking. As you continue to whisk, very slowly add the milk, stirring as the mixture thickens. Add in the cayenne and red pepper flakes. Once it has thickened a bit, remove from heat and add the cheese. Stir the mixture until cheese has completely melted into the sauce.