Smoked Turkey & Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 16-oz. can whole tomatoes & juices, reserved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup lentils (brown or green)
- 4 small red potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3/4 lb. smoked turkey meat
- salt and pepper
- freshly greated parmesan-reggiano cheese
In a large pot heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, celery, carrots, and onion. Stir the mixture occasionally until softened, about 7 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, lentils, smoked turkey, and 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil and cover partially. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are very tender, about 1 hour.
Add potatoes and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
Remove any bones from your turkey, if necessary, return the meat, then discard the bones and bay leaf. Add parsley, salt, and pepper.
Serve a large bowlful and top with cheese.