photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Greek Spinach and Feta Turkey Meatloaf


If you asked my parents what dinner I hate the most, they would tell you that it's a tie between pork chops and meatloaf. True story. I hate them both with a vengeance. And while there honestly is no hope for the ole pork slab, I have recently been trying to come around to the idea of meatloaf. I mean, I like meatballs. I like hamburgers. So why not meatloaf? Plus, 99% of humanity loves meatloaf, so I figured I would try and fit in for once. I recently made this for dinner at a friends house, and served up with green beans, and salad, it was the perfect meal. And secretly healthy! That's what I love about the 21st century (don't worry, I just had to ask my husband what century we are in...it's been a long day), is that we can make healthy food that doesn't have to taste like rabbit food. Whole ingredients when seasoned and cooked right can taste just as good as grabbing that double double with animal fries...okay almost as good!





Greek Spinach and Feta Turkey Meatloaf

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 cups freshly chopped spinach
  • 1 egg, whisked
  • 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato ketchup for topping

Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion and garlic until softened, about 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add in the tomato paste and spinach, stir to mix and allow the spinach to wilt slightly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

In a large mixing bowl add in the turkey, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, oregano, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire together. Mix lightly with your hands, then add in the sautéed veggies. Mix to combine, then pour into a loaf pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Top with ketchup.

Bake for 50-55 minutes until cooked through. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. 


Thank you Traina Foods for providing me with the perfect Sun-Dried Tomato Ketchup!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I love putting new spins on old classics like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m making this for the second time tonight. It’s absolutely delicious! The sun-dried tomato ketchup is a must (for us). There was no recommended temp but I baked it at 375* for 50 minutes. Its perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this last night. We liked it, but thought it was a little under seasoned. I suspect a bit more salt would do the trick though. But I think I'll be making it again. It feels like fancy meatloaf :-)

    ReplyDelete

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014