photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Okra Corn Cakes with Lime Cilantro Yogurt Dip


Hi, my name is Rhea, and I am brand new to the okra scene. I have been seeing it for weeks now at the farmer's market, and slowly popping up in the grocery stores. But I had yet to get my hands on it, nor did I really know what to do with it? Until now. Next time I will be brave enough to cook it on it's own and let the flavor really come out, but I had to start out with something safe. Breaded and pan-fried is usually safe in this house. I have to say, I really enjoyed these corn cakes, but I felt that they were a little low on salt, so I upped the salt in the recipe, just fyi. Plus, anything with a yogurt dipping sauce is a winner to me. So next time you see a new ingredients, don't be afraid to try something new, you might really enjoy it! 


Okra Corn Cakes:
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 small jalapeno, minced
  • 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced okra rounds
  • 1 cup corn meal
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup water
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp. high-heat oil for frying
Lime Cilantro Yogurt Dip:
  • 1 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • handful fresh cilantro, chopped
In a medium bowl, add the garlic, jalapeno, bell pepper, and okra. Season well with salt and pepper and set aside. In another medium bowl, whisk together the corn meal, baking powder, egg, and water. Add to the bowl with the veggies, and mix well. Add more water, a tbsp. at a time as needed if they aren't wet enough. 

Heat up the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Form the batter into small- or medium-sized patties. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, until cooked through and crispy on the outsides. Remove form the oil and drain on a paper towel to soak up any extra oil.

Whisk together the yogurt, lime juice, and cilantro. Serve the cakes hot with the dipping sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014