photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Friday, April 17, 2015

Spicy Chicken Avocado Enchiladas: Take 2


I love his blog for so many different reasons. It motivates me to cook and try new things on a constant basis. It pushed me outside of my comfort zone. It allows me to go back and see what my life was like at different times. Like my own very-public online diary. It feeds my soul. Andrew consistently tells me that one of my favorite dishes I ever made him was my Spicy Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas. To put this in perspective, I originally posted about this dish in July of 2012. Almost 3 years later and he is still talking about them. I pulled up the recipe recently and took a look at my original post. Awful grainy photos filled the page, and I just knew I had to re-make these. Both to please Andrew and his cravings for these enchiladas, and to do the recipe some justice with some updated photography. Not that I am a professional in any means. But anything better than a 2011 cell phone picture at night will do. So without further ado, I present to you the new and improved Spicy Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas: Take 2.


Spicy Chicken Avocado Enchiladas

White Enchilada Sauce:
  • 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (remove seeds for less heat)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 tbsp. flour
  • 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • pinch of salt and pepper
  • 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
  • 1/2 cup chopped green chiles
  • 1/4 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
Enchilada Filling:
  • 2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped or shredded
  • 1 cup shredded white or mexican cheese, separated
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 large avocado, seeded and chopped
  • 8 flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, saute the jalapeno and garlic for about 1 minute. Whisk in flour and continue to stir for 2 minutes.

Slowly whisk in the broth in a steady stream. Add in the cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and add in the cilantro, green chiles, and sour cream or yogurt. Remove the sauce from the heat.

Add 1/2 cup opf the enchilada sauce to the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, onion, avocado, and 1/2 of the cheese. Place about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortillas. Roll up the tortillas and place seam-side down in the casserole dish.

Top with the remaining sauce and the rest of the cheese. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve hot with cilantro as garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014