photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Dark Chocolate Brioche Loaf


Brioche bread is like the holy grail of breads. Normally it is used to make something else, usually rich breakfast foods. However, what happened to just slicing off a warm piece of homemade bread and enjoying it with a cup of coffee? When I saw this recipe, I immediately showed it to my boyfriend, his jaw dropped, and I added it to my must-make-pinterest list.  Sometimes I look forward to working weekends at work, because that means I can cook all day long on Wednesdays & Thursdays and take advantage of all of the gorgeous sunlight for photos. I think my neighbors probably think I am crazy when I start pulling out poster boards and props, and then lay down on my driveway to make sure I get the best angle. It's the price I pay to get the gorgeous photo above. Now, while this bread isn't overly sweet, the chocolate adds just the right hint of sugar, but does not over power the bread. Plus, it's topped with sea salt, which clearly is all the rage this year. And I'm not mad about it!


Dark Chocolate Brioche Loaf

Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 pkg. active dry yeast
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 4 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 bar (3.5 oz) dark chocolate (I used 72% cocoa)
  • 1 tbsp. melted coconut oil
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt

In a large mixing bowl whisk together 2 cups bread flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. 

In a small saucepan melt the butter and water together. Make sure you don't simmer or boil, just warm it enough to melt the butter. Add the water/butter mixture to the flour. Mix until just incorporated.

Add in the eggs and mix well until the dough forms a ball.

Move the dough ball to another large bowl coated in butter or oil. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 3 hours until the dough has doubled in size. 

Dust your work surface and turn out the risen dough onto the floured surface. Roll the dough into a 14x8-inch rectangle.

Finely chop the chocolate bar and spread across the rolled out dough. Roll the filled dough up to make a roll that's about 9x5 inches, which should fit snugly in your bread pan. 

Grease a baking tin/bread pan and add the rolled dough into the pan. Cover and set aside another 30 minutes, letting the dough rise again. 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Glaze the top of the bread with the egg yolk and sprinkle with the sea salt.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minuted depending on your oven, until the top of the bread is golden brown.

Let cool at room temperature on a wire rack until cooled enough to remove and slice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014