photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Slimmed Down Cole Slaw


I just want to preface this post by saying how much I normally HATE cole slaw. Like cringe at the sight of it on a menu, or the mention of it at a BBQ. It mostly stems for my disgust with mayonnaise, and I tend to let my distaste for one thing let it ruin everything that it is associated with. But luckily my boyfriend is very patient with me, and slowly introduces these so called "hate foods" into meals, and I usually end up liking them. Hint; beets. I recently made this lightened up version of cole slaw, sans any and all mayo. I swapped it out for tangy greek yogurt, which I love. Which in turn made me love the cole slaw. Who knew?

Slimmed Down Cole Slaw

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 head red/purple cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
  • 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp, celery seed
  • salt and pepper to taste
In a serving bowl toss together the onion, green cabbage, and red cabbage.

In another smaller bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, celery seed, salt, and pepper.

Add to the cabbage mixture, and toss to coat well. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.

*Will last 3-4 days in the fridge, but I preferred the crunchy texture the best on the same day I made it*

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014