photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Monday, April 2, 2012

Garden Veggie Red Wine Sauce

I plan on making stuffed shells later on this week for me and my roommates, but as I was looking through my cupboards and fridge I noticed I had everything I needed except for the marinara sauce. However, I did have all the makings to homemake some red sauce. I grabbed a few different veggies, popped the cork of a bottle of red wine, and after 30 minute sof simmering, poof! I had red sauce!


Veggie Red Sauce


Ingredients:



  • 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 cup onion, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 red or green bell pepper, roughly chopped
  • handful of baby carrots, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 roma tomato, roughly chopped
  • 6 oz. tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • handful of fresh parsley, chopped
  • handful of fresh basil, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add carrots and bell pepper. stir and soften another 2 minutes.

Add garlic cloves, tomato, tomato sauce, and oregano. Turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add parsley and basil. Stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer another 10 minutes.

Turn off heat and let come to room temperature. Pour mixture into blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Use immediately or store in the fridge for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014