photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chicken-Corn Chili

For the past 5 days I have been in denial. Deny, deny, deny. There has been no end in sight to the sniffles, sneezing, and constant tissue-to-nose workout. Yet, when someone asks if I am sick, I simply say, "No". No. I am NOT sick. I believe that if I tell myself this enough, it will become the truth. The answer to accompanying a friend to happy hour, "Yes". The response to a girlfriend asking me out for lunch on the patio, "Yes. Absolutey, yes". Would a sick person go to happy hour and have margaritas? No. But today I felt myself slightly giving in to the common cold. So what did I do? Went shopping to make a hearty bowl of chili for dinner. It shall serve two purposes. One, the added jalapenos will hopefully help me breathe a little clearer. And two, the warm bowl full of chicken, corn, and white beans will leave me full, warm, and ready to snuggle up in my bed. 

Chicken-Corn Chili


Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large jalapeno pepper, minced (half minced, half sliced)
  • 1 4-oz. can of diced green chiles, drained
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
  • 2 15-oz. cans of white or pinto beans, drained & rinsed
  • 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
  • Sour cream and cornbread for serving (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook; stirring, until slightly soft. Add the garlic, chopped jalapenos, green chiles, cumin and cook; stirring, until the cumin is toasted.

Stir in the chicken broth, shredded chicken, and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes.

Using a potato masher, mash the chili until about half of the beans are broken up. Stir in the corn, cilantro and 1/2 cup cheese.

Divide among bowls and top with remaining cheese and sliced japalenos. Serve with sour cream and cornbread if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014